Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

FutureGoldenTarget.comFutureGoldenTarget.com

World News

Bakeries close across Gaza as World Food Programme warns food supplies are set to run out in two weeks

All bakeries in Gaza have closed due to a severe lack of fuel and flour caused by Israel’s near month-long blockade of humanitarian aid, according to local authorities.

“The occupation has forced all bakeries to shut down entirely, exacerbating the famine crisis that threatens the lives of innocent civilians, particularly children, patients, and the elderly,” the Hamas-controlled Government Media Office in Gaza said Tuesday.

The closures are likely to accelerate the spread of famine in the strip, the head of the local Bakery Owners’ Association, Abdel Nasser Al-Ajrami told the Palestinian Press Agency Safa.

The United Nation’s World Food Programme (WFP) said all 25 of its bakeries in the enclave had shut, citing the lack of flour and fuel.

“Hot meals are continuing, but supplies will last two weeks. WFP will distribute its last food parcels in the next two days,” said Abeer Etefa, the WFP’s communications officer for Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe.

“I went to every bakery. Every time we ask, they say there’s no flour due to the closure of the crossings. The Israelis control the crossings. We don’t know where to go,” Abdul Rahman Fattayeh said.

“I have 40 family members, and I’ve been searching for bread for them since 8 a.m., going around all the bakeries in Deir al-Balah. None are operating,” al-Kurd said. “There’s no flour, no firewood, nothing. Not even water. It’s dire,” he added.

The Israeli government shut down the supply of food and other humanitarian aid into Gaza in early March, in a bid to pressure Hamas into releasing more hostages and impose new conditions on the extension of the ceasefire.

No aid has entered the enclave for more than three weeks, with the head of the UN’s agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) saying that this is the longest Gaza has been without any supplies since the war began.

“During the ceasefire, 500–600 trucks arrived daily. Now, nothing,” Philippe Lazzarini, UNRWA Commissioner-General, said last week.

Describing the latest blockade as the worst humanitarian crisis since the war began, Amjad Al-Shawa, director of the Palestinian Non-Governmental Organizations Network, warned the closure of bakeries would impact “hundreds of thousands of people” who rely on them for food.

“The coming days will be very critical on the lives and the health of the Palestinians in Gaza, mainly children, women, and elders,” Al-Shawa said Tuesday, urging the international community to pressure Israel into reopening the crossings.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

You May Also Like

World News

Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa has granted preemptive pardons for police and military personnel responding to an armed attack that killed at least 22 in...

World News

It’s a sign of these extraordinary times that even the Kremlin’s old propagandists are scrambling to change their tune. Across state-controlled Russian media, disparaging...

World News

Advocates in Mexico are calling for an immediate and independent investigation after the discovery of what they’re describing as an “extermination camp” in Jalisco...

Business News

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang on Thursday walked back comments he made in January, when he cast doubt on whether useful quantum computers would hit the...